Extra virgin olive oil
Plain whole yogurt
(not Greek style yogurt)
Frozen mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a Kitchen Aid mixer with whisk attachment, whip eggs (room temperature) with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- While mixture is whipping, sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Turn mixer off, add sifted dry ingredients.
- Start the mixer again on low speed and while mixing, add the olive oil slowly. Note: Do not do this on high speed!
- When olive oil incorporated, add the milk and lemon zest. Increase speed to homogenize mixture.
- Pour the batter into the Silpat® Entremet. Add the frozen mixed berries to the top of batter.
- Distribute the frozen berries evenly .
- Bake at 350 F until it feels firm to the touch in the center and slightly golden. About 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool down sponge on wire rack. When sponge is cool, turn upside down onto a large plate to demold.
- Cut sponge into squares. Keep the cake at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Freeze to keep longer.
Canned pineapple can be used as a substitute. As there is excess packing liquid, this must be drained well before using.
Sour Cream can be used in lieu of yogurt, same ratio
Fresh berries can be used, depending on what is in season and their ripeness. Frozen berries work very well.